4. Intro to Back That Azz Up, Generation Ships, Coffee
We add the intro to the song Back That Azz Up (by Juvenile), the sci-fi concept of generation ships, and coffee to the List of Every Damn Thing.
Phil and Jake continue construction on the List of Every Damn thing by ranking the intro to Juvenile's 1999 hit "Back That Azz Up", the science fiction concept of generations ships, and coffee.
- Bundling is the colonial practice where courting young people would be in bed together under parental supervision. It’s hard to tell from the 21st century how this worked in practice. Phil said “time of the American revolution” when he meant “colonial times”. Jake said “hole in the sheet” when he meant to say “piece of wood in the bed”.
- We mention the Hot Boys (here's We On Fire) and Cash Money Millionaires (here's Baller Blockin'). We don't get into it too much, but it’s really hard to overstate how big Cash Money Records was.
- What ever happened to Mannie Fresh? The answer is: He's still working. Everyone loves him and gives him the respect he’s due. Something unusual in retrospect is that he doesn’t say his name in the intro to Back that Azz Up. Mannie Fresh is known for among other things pushing the trend of having a producer tag like “Mike Will Made It” and “Just Blaze”.
- There is an oral history of Knuck if You Buck which is just incredibly informative. We can’t believe this is far enough in the past to warrant an oral history but we guess what they said was true: time passes.
- Hank Williams came up again. Is his best song I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive? Possibly.
- Brian De Palma wrote the crawl at the beginning of Star Wars. Apparently there was a much longer crawl. When George Lucas showed him a rough cut of the movie, De Palma edited it down and harshly criticized it “What is this shit?”
- Battlestar Galactica’s creator Glen A. Larson used Mormon themes in the story, as relayed by Phil’s sister. Maybe there are Mormon themes in Magnum P.I. and Knight Rider too.
- Orphans of the Sky by Robert Heinlein gets discussed but not named. It’s maybe the most popular story about a generation ship going wrong unless you count Wall-E. Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson does get named.
- Starblazers is a cartoon we watched as kids in which the Japanese WWII battleship Yamato is rebuilt and turned into a spaceship to run a blockade of aliens in a desperate attempt to save the human race. It might surprise you to learn that the lead character was a cocky young space pilot with wild hair.
- Phil comes out against manned space exploration on the grounds that robots can handle the stresses of space travel better than we can.
- Tommy Bahamas shirts came up again. Jake and Phil may be forced to buy some.
- Lightsabers are just a fun, simple, dumb idea. The sound they make is perfect. Who doesn’t like that sound?
- Turkish coffee and cowboy coffee are essentially the same thing: unfiltered coffee.
- Jake mentioned that cashew shells are poisonous. Apparently they have the same chemical that makes poison ivy itch. A cashew is technically not a nut, it’s a seed. Since peanuts are legumes that means they need an asterisk on the mixed nuts bag.
- Jake plugs friend-of-the-pod coffee shops Time & Tide Coffee (in Biddeford, Maine) and Timeless Coffee (in Oakland, California). Both are top-notch.
- ALSO DISCUSSED:
sardines * pour-over coffee * cafe culture * The Enlightement
Below is the List of Every Damn Thing as of this recording (for the most up-to-date list, go here):
1. Hank Williams (person)
2. air (element)
3. intro to Back That Azz Up (music)
4. land (element)
5. crows (animal)
6. sea (element)
7. coffee (beverage)
8. band t-shirts (clothing)
9. lightning rounds (concept)
10. generation ships (idea)
11. sardines (food)
12. Tommy Bahama shirts (clothing)
13. blood (substance)
14. Oreos (food)
15. sports team jerseys (clothing)
16. Gambit (fictional character)
17. Double Stuf Oreos (food)
18. Jenny McCarthy (person)
19. Hank Williams Jr. (person)
The theme song for this episode is by Jade Puget.
Podcast cover art by Jason Mann.
Our website is everydamnthing.net